One of my hobbies is monitoring fly-by-night Tax Resolution Companies (particularly those based in California).
Here is a list of the recently deceased:
1. Strategic Tax - San Diego - out of business in the fall/winter of 2008. CLOSED IN 2008
2. Traveler's Tax - Los Angeles - I think they were out of business a long time ago. But their owner started a new company: National Tax Debt in 2012. CLOSED IN 2002.
3. Capitol Tax Relief - Los Angeles - see # 2.CLOSED IN 2004
4. Innovative Tax Relief - Los Angeles, founded 6/04, 83 complaints - 3 years. (I think these guys are dead - web site is down). CLOSED IN 2007?
Bad ones - still alive (NOW ALL CLOSED!!!!!):
1. Associated Tax Relief - Los Angeles, founded 11/05, 129 complaints - 3 years. - changing their name to Authorized Tax Relief (due to BBB complaints). CLOSED IN 2011
2. American Tax Relief - Los Angeles, founded 4/99, 148 complaints - 3 years. CLOSED IN 2010
3. Progressive Tax Group - Calabasas/Southern California, founded 1/07, 39 complaints - 2 years (Previous company name: Innovative Tax Relief). CLOSED IN 2011?
4. Power Tax Relief - Los Angeles, founded 11/05, 67 complaints - 3 years. CLOSED IN 2011?
6. Taxmasters -- bucketshop -- advertises on Fox based in Texas. Try to get a hold of their customer service line?!. CLOSED IN 2012
7. J.K. Harris and Associates - South Carolina and franchises all around the country. Loser in massive class action lawsuit. Sued in many states by Attorney Generals. Yet, their advertisements still pop up on TV. CLOSED IN 2011
8. Nationwide Tax Relief -- mysterious sales driven organization -- offices all around the country? CLOSED IN 2011.
1. Omni Financial -- Colorado see - http://watax.com/blog/tax-professionals-omni-in-colorado-cold . They get points for being around a long time. They also strive to maintain a good BBB record. STILL KICKING IN 2015.
2. Tax Defenders - Chicago -- They also get points for being around a while. But a sales driven front line and a bad BBB record. STILL KICKING IN 2015.
3. Roni Deutch -- Sacramento, CA -- They deserve credit for being around a while and for a good BBB record. However, they ran into a big problem that most of the companies here have: their salespeople are NOT licensed professionals. I have numerous examples throughout my career of hearing strange, completely wrong information from their salespeople. I also understand that their customer service and follow through leave something to be desired. CLOSED IN 2011.
For 30 years, WATAX has been solving every kind of tax problem. Call us at 1-888-282-4697 or email a description of your tax issue and we’ll contact you.
Call and talk with a tax expert for free: