Tax issue: years 1996 thru 2002
Amount owed: $0 -- client had paid in full.
Solution: Requested that the IRS refund penalties taxpayer had paid in full.
Let's review the strengths and weaknesses of this case:
1. Strength - IRS paid in full.
2. Strength - Client had filed and paid his taxes on time from 2004 thru 2011 after he owed the taxes.
3. Strength - Client had a medical issue - herniated disc and multiple other issues - that decreased his pay and also affected his tax compliance.
4. Strength -When client knew that he was going to owe taxes he was afraid to file -- we throw this under "Ignorance of the Law."
5. Strength - Client took action after the IRS levied him. He filed all his returns and set up a payment plan with the IRS without delay.
6. Weakness -- client owed for almost 7 years - 1996 1997 1998 1999 2000 2001 and 2002.
When requesting a penalty abatement: you generally want to have as few weaknesses as possible -- otherwise - you are going to lose. This taxpayer owed a lot of years. But he was strong in all of the other areas. In our opinion - if he would have ONE more weak issue on his case: he would have lost, i.e. Two Strikes and you are out!
We will also add that for people that owe the IRS only ONE TAX YEAR -- there is an exception to the above rule. Many penalty abatement cases for ONLY ONE YEAR win regardless of the weaknesses. But when you owe for two years or more - you want to see a much higher weighting of strengths to weaknesses.
You can read about other successful penalty abatements we've done and more on this issue below:
What kind of tax problem do you have? Do you have a strong penalty abatement case? Call us at 1-888-282-4697. Staff of Washington Tax Services.