Jay Freeborne

by Jay Freeborne, Enrolled Agent

It's almost October. If you are NOT current on paying your 2016 taxes on your 2016 income...it's probably time to start thinking ahead to 2017. If you are someone who might qualify for an Offer in Compromise, we can also start planning to roll these unpaid 2016 taxes combining them with your older taxes and look to settle them all. By doing so, you can re-focus on staying current on your taxes in 2017 and let us handle the 2016 and back taxes.

But we still have a few months left before 2017 - as your tax professional representing you, we will try to "kick the can" into 2017 by timing our contact with IRS collections correctly. We'll better be able to estimate how to time this by reviewing the LT11, CP504 letters from the IRS collection branch that you might have received.

By holding off IRS collections, we file your Offer in Compromise (or other form of resolution) at the end of December or early next year. By the time it's accepted in the Spring, you will be current on 2017 taxes. At least - this is how it should work in theory :)

For 30 years, WATAX has been solving every kind of tax problem. Call us at 1-888-282-4697 or email us a description of your tax issue and we'll contact you.

Posted In
Registered members of the National Association of Enrolled Agents.

Call and talk with a tax expert for free:
(888) 282-4697

or email us now