Here are the questions that our IRS research answers:
1. When the tax liabilities are going to expire or Collection Statute Expiration Date?
2. Where our client stands in the collection process? Are they assigned to a Revenue Officer? Or is their case in IRS collections? We don't want to surprised by a mysterious levy from the IRS.
3. What are client owes the IRS and the years they owe?
4. What tax years are unfiled?
5. What tax years is the IRS looking for our client to file? Knowing what the IRS is looking for -- can we determine what returns can be filed for the client to bring them in sufficient compliance with the IRS?
6. Did the IRS file any returns for the client or file SFR'S or substitute for returns? Would it be beneficial for our client to file the returns?
7. Having the IRS fax to us all of the pertinent "wage and income" documents for the tax years we plan to file.
In fact - if you are shopping for a tax professional and the "front-person" doesn't mention the significance of researching your IRS record -- we think it is a warning sign. Researching your IRS is a time-saver for everyone and allows to focus our energies appropriately for our clients.
If you are someone that hasn't filed taxes in ...forever: you might also find the following post helpful: If you Haven't Filed Taxes in 15 years? 5 years? 2 years?
We think we are the most knowledgeable when it comes to "non-filers" of tax returns in the whole industry. Haven't filed? Owe the IRS or a state agency? Give us a jingle at 1-888-282-4697. Staff of watax.com or EMAIL us your tax situation HERE and we'll call you.